Quarters in the Jar

To snark, it will cost you a quarter...unless it's true.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Street cred

Coming off third quarter Parent/Teacher conferences (or as I like to call them "The Truth about Your Child" meetings) last week, I know for a fact that having two children has given me a tremendous amount of credibility with the parents. Well, having two kids and the fact that I am older than many, many of the parents. It would be hard to take advice like, "Hold him accountable when he lies," or "The key is consistency," from a 22 year old with no kids at home. I can hear the echoes of my first year of teaching parents, "Listen sister, you don't even have kids, so you don't have a clue."

And I didn't. I didn't know what it was like to come home exhausted and still have to make sure everyone did what they were supposed to do. Or to look over at your yard and notice that the lagoon has an awful lot of water around it. Upon further investigation, finding the wall has a huge hole and sewer water is flowing (albeit slowly) into the yard (true story from last night--happy Spring Break to me and my DH. Our arms are sore from filling buckets of topsoil from the pile we made when we built the patio. Just to dump them into the deeeeeeep hole after pulling them across the yard. Thank you Radio Flyer for the help).

But now, I do have kids, so I do know it's hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home