Quarters in the Jar

To snark, it will cost you a quarter...unless it's true.

Monday, March 22, 2010

You're kidding, right?

Have you ever been in a situation where there are so many things that you are incredulous about that you don't even know where to begin to tell the whole story? This is me tonight.

On Saturday, after the marathon (3 1/2 hours!) pinewood derby (did I mention my cub was the winner in the Tiger division?), our den leader reminded me that we were going on a field trip Monday. She gave me the form to sign, and as I was filling out the paperwork I asked, "Where are we going, again?" She told me we were taking a hike...TO CASEY'S (the neighborhood convenience store). Oh-kay? This is wrong on so many levels, but I didn't argue because I'm trying very, very hard not to be "that mom" in the pack. Really, just because I equate hiking with state parks, doesn't mean everyone else has to. So I was all like, "Why the convenience store?" I was told it was to learn about nutrition and making money decisions. Hmmm. Not too sure about that one, but I was going with the flow.

So tonight, our little den took out for the sketchy side of town to go to the gas station. Thank goodness it was still light. When we got there, we talked about all the things in the gas station and how the snacks were at the front and blah, blah, blah. Then, each Scout got a little money to spend. This is where I'm still a little flabbergasted. One of the dads said to me and everyone else in the store, "I need a snack and I'm buying this (holding up a giant Pepsi and king size candy bar). No wait actually, the government is buying me this." HE WAS HOLDING UP HIS EBT CARD!!! Ok, where I come from a) you eat a little healthier than that (unless there are donuts in the lounge), b) you don't shout it from the rooftop that you are spending everyone's tax dollars for a sugar fix, and c) if you do have an EBT card, you buy real food for your family. PLUS, part of our trip was about nutrition, and everything he chose I'm pretty sure was in the "fats and oils" food group.

I know I gave him a look, I couldn't help it. Maybe I am "that mom", and that's ok.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home