Quarters in the Jar

To snark, it will cost you a quarter...unless it's true.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Rolling Stones said it best

You can't always get what you want. I thought really long and hard about how to write this post. I knew if I wrote it on Friday, it could have very well turned into a multi-paragraphed rant. Everyone needs a little rant time every now and then, but that's not really my style.

Here's what happened. Our assistant superintendent e-mailed the entire district staff at 2:51 p.m. on Friday (the same way you hope to get the machine when you intend to flake out on a friend, they can't react) to rock our worlds. The memo said that in order to keep class sizes to a minimum, children of teachers in the district must attend their neighborhood school or home district, unless there is room for them at the school of their parents' choice. I wouldn't be writing about this if it didn't directly affect my family.

My first grader has only gone to the school where I teach. My daughter enters kindergarten next year. I had intended for her to go to the same school as well (mostly because my school really rocks-- I teach there, after all). That seems to be off the option board next year because we live in another school district. I have either taught or subbed (SAHM I'm not) in our district for 11 years, and I know how good it is. I know there could be room for the both of them next year, but I don't think I want her to start kindergarten one place, and then have to transfer because the numbers were to high later on (it's bad enough to do it to my first grader).

So really, this has given me the push I might (probably) have needed to explore the district where we live. Sometimes, you get what you need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home