Quarters in the Jar

To snark, it will cost you a quarter...unless it's true.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Did you check the "I don't have anything to write about folder?"

There are sooooooooooo many things that I could write about. But, in the interest of being a professional, I won't. Look out DH, I have a bunch of things to say tonight. I have had a bit of writer's block this week. How to keep a blog light and funny without losing my mind and typing in all caps after the myriad of tomfoolery that is a public school? That being said, I can totally empathize with my little friends who can't think of anything to write about. I don't think it is so much that they can't think of anything, but rather the things they think of aren't things they think I (or their classmates) would want to hear about. It is hard. When I help them find an idea, it validates their own thinking and puts my stamp of approval on it.

Just this week my son (first grader) said, "Mom, guess what my teacher wanted me to write about?" Of course I asked him what it was and he replied, "WIN-TER." In case you couldn't tell that was his exasperated tone (usually saved for his slowpoke preschool sister). I said, "Wow, that must have been really easy for you." And, I wonder why both my kids are so stinkin' sarcastic. Then he told me, "That was the worst one ever and I couldn't think of a thing that was good about winter until I thought of one thing." What was the one thing he wrote?
"There is one good thing about winter. Sometimes it is too cold and there is no school." That's my boy.

So my new resolution (I know, I know, you're supposed to make them in January) is not to get frustrated with my reluctant writers because they probably can't think of anything they think will meet the standard. Because I refuse to believe they are all trying to avoid writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home